You should be motivated and committed to the scheme – implementing change within a service requires determination, perseverance and protection of the allocated time to do so. You should have good communication skills and be prepared to share information and guide/inform discussions about implants within your team.
Role of the Champion:
1. AWARENESS – To train, support and empower all members of your team to counsel patients/clients and their families about cochlear implants (CIs).
2. EQUITABLE – To ensure all eligible patients/clients and their families are given an informed-choice and shared-decision making about a CI referral.
3. MONITOR – To audit the quality and quantity of CI referrals, including the quality of counselling taking place in your service.
Responsibilities of the Champion:
The introduction training webinar is available below. This webinar should be viewed before applying to become a CI Champion. Additional training is provided annually through face-to-face events held at BCIG and/or BAA conference. One day of study leave per year will be required to attend. There will be a small fee for the annual training event and travel and accommodation, if applicable. BCIG or BAA will not reimburse this. We welcome applicants for CI Champions at any point throughout the year. The champion role is important for audiologists working in a paediatric and adult setting, in the NHS and independent sector.
Online training and support are available on these webpages, and from your CI mentor throughout the year. The estimated time required to fulfil this role is approximately 1 hour per week. This time is to:
1. Audit – To carry out the audit, you will need access to your patient management system and Excel.
2. Plan team training – To discuss audit results and offer training and support to your team at least 4 times per year.
3. Gather resources – Share resources with your team to develop their knowledge of implant candidacy, support high-quality implant referral counselling and good quality patient information.
4. Communicate with your team and the local implant centre – Updates on your local implant centre policies, waiting times or case studies
Become familiar with the BAA champion page content
Gather feedback from your own team
Arrange manufacturer referral training
Create or review your standard CI referral form
Make contact with your CI Mentor
Arrange an MDT observation
Crystal report training